Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Assignment 7

future

The Networked Student

The Networked student is a video that explains what 21st century learning is like and how to get started. Connectivism is a major part of this 21st century learning. It is explained in the video as "learning occurs as part of a social network of many diverse connections and ties made possible through various tools of technology." I have always been a traditional person. However, I believe that in order for children to be prepared for their future, this must happen. Our world has become too advanced, to be still teaching the next generations in a customary manner. Teachers should not be afraid of this new way of schooling. Teachers are always going to be a crucial part of a child's life. The video answers the question "why need a teacher?" with an encouraging answer. They are necessary for teaching this new way of learning and broadening children’s abilities.

A personal learning network is not something developed over night. A child will need guidance on building this network and improving it. It has taken me a whole semester to have a good understanding of just blogging. This is something that they will always come across challenges and need direction. The teacher is also their to help them "take advantage of the learning opportunities" they are given. Teachers are there to inspire children and encourage them to think critically.

Connectivism requires children to communicate with people all over the world. This will require supervision. Children must learn how to properly comment to their mentor’s and respectfully ask them for help. There are unreliable websites across the internet. Students will need a good understanding on how to find and differentiate reliable web sources. Teachers will learn how to give assignments that challenge the students thinking and computer skills. I am excited for what the future of learning holds. There are an innumerable amount of possibilities! As a future teacher, I am willing to except the challenge of 21st century teaching!

symbaloo

Recently, I have begun creating my own PLN. Also known as a personal learning network. Mine was created through Symbaloo. I learned all about PLNs thanks to a video called Welcome to My PLE!. This video was impressively created by a 7th grader! She demonstrates how she created her PLE and what it consists of. This is an awesome way to keep everything necessary in one place! I am able to view my facebook, twitter, email, and much more on the same page! It also provides many tools and tips for educators. I am very excited about building my PLN and developing many connections!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. It made me understand what he was saying much clearer. I am going to look into the symbaloo. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears that you are ready to be a networked teacher. Great!

    ReplyDelete